Job Title: Planning Intern
Company/Organization: City of Takoma Park
The City of Takoma Park is looking for a Planning Intern seeking real-world experience in economic development, GIS-mapping, transportation planning, community outreach, and more. The City of Takoma Park is a compact jurisdiction in Maryland bordering the District of Columbia. Inhabited by a diverse and politically active citizenry, Takoma Park is known for its progressive housing and environmental policies, historic, tree-lined neighborhoods, independent businesses, and rich arts community. Our planning staff is small and interns play an important role in the City’s efforts to improve the quality of life of its residents through the implementation of policies that support transit-oriented, mixed-use development and active transportation. City government offices are located in the Takoma Park Community Center, at 7500 Maple Avenue – a ten minute walk from the Takoma Metro Station, on multiple bus lines, and accessible by bike and Bike Share.
The Planning Internship opportunity is open for qualified candidates, 20-40 hours/week, up to 12 months. Funding is assured through June 2016. Pay ranges from $13.00 to $16.00 per hour.
- Must be enrolled in a graduate program in regional or community planning, architecture, urban design, urban studies, economics or real estate development. Candidates who graduated with a master’s degree within the past two years will be considered.
- A strong interest in revitalization, smart growth, or redevelopment.
- Strong writing, digital communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with GIS mapping and Microsoft Office. Adobe CS a plus.
- Self-motivated, organized and able to work with minimal supervision.
- Valid U.S. driver’s license.
Foreign language skills are a plus but not required (Spanish, French, or Amharic).
Contact Info/How to Apply: www.takomaparkmd.gov/hr/careers